Friday, October 4, 2013

Field Trip
Yesterday we went on a field trip to Hampton Harbor and surveyed the ocean and its happenings. We checked water quality, marine bio life, plankton, the sea floor, and many other things while on the boat. It was a very beneficial learning experience that really helped further my understanding of the great blue. One very interesting thing that I we learnt was how big of an impact plankton has on our personal everyday life. If plankton remarkably ceased to exist we would with them. They account for roughly 80percent of the air's oxygen and play a key role in the ecosystem, being among the bottom level of the food chain. Taking samples of the water and seeing how much plankton is in just one drop of the water was crazy to me and made me realize that every time I go in the ocean I'm covering myself in tiny organisms. When we went on the beach we examined the sand and all of that which was, if nothing else, fun. All in all I really enjoyed the filed trip yesterday and took the experience and let it further my understanding of the ocean's processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment